[WikiEN-l] The Register decries Wikipedia's "censorship" via OTRS

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 00:16:16 UTC 2007

On 7/8/07, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/06/wikipedia_otrs_volunteers/
>
> They're criticizing the fact that the [[Lava lamp]] article got blanked out for a lengthy period
> due to an unexplained "OTRS ticket".
>
> Those OTRS and WP:OFFICE actions, though sometimes necessary for legal reasons, can
> be rather frustrating when articles are blanked out without explanation.

Confidentiality of email to Wikipedia means we cannot be as
transparent as some editors assume we ought to be.  OTRS actions can
be checked by any editor with access to the OTRS system, of whom there
are quite a few on English Wikipedia.  The procedure for querying an
OTRS action is outlined on the "Wikipedia:OTRS2 page on English
Wikipedia.

I notice that this Register story is written up by Cade Metz, rather
than Andrew Orlowski, who has made no secret of his dislike of
Wikipedia.