[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia:Fringe noticeboards/Theory

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jul 7 04:16:57 UTC 2007

Charlotte Webb wrote:

>On 7/6/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>These are facts. Presenting them as anything else would be misleading.
>>

>I'm not talking about facts. I'm talking about unprovable and mutually
>conflicting theories.
>
>Nobody's seriously dismissing Einstein as a nutter, but he himself
>admitted "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a
>single experiment can prove me wrong."
>
>Such is the beauty of theories.

One who does not appreciate the role of theories ends up with the
factual notion that God created the world in six days.

We don't now consider Einstein a nutter, but that wasn't always the
case.  One also needs to allow for the possibility that mutually
conflicting theories may both be right..  We are not in a position to do
the original research necessary to prove that premise.  We can cite the
proofs that others have given.  If it results in antinomy, I'm prepared
to live with that.

Perhaps the one big failing of our Aristotelian tradition is the belief
that there must be a right answer that logically excludes all others.

Ec