[WikiEN-l] Attack Site Wars, Episode VII... The Return of the Essjay

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 09:35:56 UTC 2007

On 6/28/07, Blu Aardvark <jeffrey.latham at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why does Wikipedia have to have an entry on everything that is reported
> by some media source or other?

Consider that the "evening news" of one's choice, and its accompanying
dot-com site, are the source our typical user will be most familiar
with. For most of them, it is also the only citable source to which
they will ever have more than a sporadic level of exposure.

Saying "go write about something not found in the news" will just
alienate people who are trying to help the project.

One might watch the news at home and read the newspaper at work, or
vice versa, and even edit Wikipedia in both locations, but most people
who have a job aren't going to be spending much time in libraries...
unless they are in fact librarians, in which case more power to them.

''This article is a stub. Pay my overdue book fees and I might finish
writing it."

—C.W.