[WikiEN-l] Autoconfirmed Threshold

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 09:00:47 UTC 2007

On 6/30/07, Royalguard11 <royalguard11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> There was a thread about this in the list back in January, but nothing
> happened because of it. So I started an on-wiki proposal about this (which
> was adding a certain edit count to the autoconfirmed threshold) at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Autoconfirmed_Proposal . I hope that
> everyone goes there and at least gives an opinion (and maybe this email will
> actually make it to the list this time).

Any threshold or combination of thresholds will be next to useless if
publicly explained.

The community fears the unknown and will not vote to approve anything
that isn't publicly explained.

If somebody is taking the trouble to stockpile accounts, this extra
hurdles is an easy one to jump, unless of course they don't know how
high it is.

Realistically a threshold of "X days after the user's Nth edit (with
inactive days not counting toward X)" could be quite effective, but
only if X and N are secret numbers.

—C.W.