[WikiEN-l] A quiet revolution

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 23:45:34 UTC 2007

On 31/01/07, Jeff Raymond <jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com> wrote:

> > If that was deliberate, I would have called it a surpassingly
> > beautiful hack. But it's serendipitous. That's somehow even *better*.
>
> So dare I ask, what's the oversight on this?  I'm waiting for the first
> day an article is protected that has never been created, in particular.

Well, pre-emptively protecting [[deliberate example redlink]] may be
doable now ;-)

In all seriousness, though, the oversight is that it can easily be
seen what pages are protected in this way - the central "transclusion"
page for these is public, and can be watched easily enough.

(I suppose people can sneakily cascade-protect trivial obscure
subpages with fake transcludes... but, then, they could do
deleted-protected on pages which had never been created under the old
system, too. So no new way of being a dick...)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk