[WikiEN-l] "Articles that do not cite reliable published sources will be deleted."

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 04:32:46 UTC 2007

On 1/27/07, Cheney Shill <halliburton_shill at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Why not just start applying the policy?  Set a time limit.
> No RS, delete.  Maybe be nice and provide 1 last extended
> deletion notice:  "This article will be deleted in x days
> if no RS are cited."  That is, if it hasn't already been
> uncited for several months.

Sure, if you really want to nuke 9/10ths of Wikipedia.

> It seems like there has been an extended and unstated
> policy to create essentially article shells simply to get
> the article count up and increase Wikipedia's popularity.

Don't be cynical. I create stubs to increase Wikipedia's *usefulness*.

> WP has a high enough count and popularity.  Why not start
> actually focusing on content detail and enforcing the long
> standing yet rarely applied policies?

How do you focus a group of some tens of thousands of self-interested
volunteers?

> The alternative seems to be to continue to be the rear end
> of jokes about knowledge by consensus and hearsay like that
> on the 1/24 Colbert Report until WP loses what trust it
> has.

Wikipedia started as a joke and is rapidly gaining in prestige. What
makes you think its trend is the other direction?

Steve