[WikiEN-l] "Articles that do not cite reliable published sources will be deleted."

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jan 27 23:02:39 UTC 2007

Bryan Derksen wrote:

>Cheney Shill wrote:
>

>>It seems like there has been an extended and unstated
>>policy to create essentially article shells simply to get
>>the article count up and increase Wikipedia's popularity.
>>

>I've created my share of stubs and this is not even remotely the reason
>why. In most cases it's because I went looking for an article, didn't
>find it, and wanted to get it started so that hopefully others would add
>more detail. Why should I care about Wikipedia's gross article count?
>
>Assume good faith, please.

Even if we accept Cheney's premise the practice he describes is likely
to be ineffectual.  It might work with a small website with less than a
hundred pages, but in a site with millions of pages the effect of these
meaningless stubs will be trivial.

>>The alternative seems to be to continue to be the rear end
>>of jokes about knowledge by consensus and hearsay like that
>>on the 1/24 Colbert Report until WP loses what trust it
>>has.
>>

>That's a false dilemma. While it's true that there are plenty of jokes
>out there about it, there's also a lot of respect and admiration as
>well. I don't see any big risk in continuing as we have been.

When you're big the jokes are a natural part of the landscape.  You
can't do anything about them.

Ec