[WikiEN-l] What is the fundamental goal of the project?

Omegatron omegatron+wikienl at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 17:09:40 UTC 2007

> There are many free quotations.

You seriously think this way?  We should remove all quotations from
Wikipedia unless they have been released under free licenses?  Seriously?

> This movement to destroy all fair use content is incredibly misguided.
>
> And doesn't exist outside your head.

It most certainly does.  You aren't part of it?

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Walter#Say_no_to_fair_use>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Say_NO_to_Fair_Use.svg>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:User_no_fair_use>
<
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Templates_for_deletion/Log/2007_January_24#Template:User_against_Fair_Use

The fair use claim for rather a lot of those images is highly questionable

You seriously think this way?

> The whole concept behind fair use is the protection of free speech in the
> > face of information-imprisoning copyright laws.
>
> Not exactly and in any case there are other ways of doing it.

Such as?

Look at your examples. Half have "fair use" cases so weak it's
> embarrassing. I'm yet to see any case law for emotional impact being a
> valid argument supporting fair use

You seriously think these images have no value in an encyclopedia?
Seriously?

You do realize that this is an encyclopedia, right?  Are you actually
interested in contributing to an encylopedia or are you just here to delete
images?