[WikiEN-l] What is the fundamental goal of the project?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 09:53:07 UTC 2007

On 1/28/07, Omegatron <omegatron+wikienl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/27/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Most money is protected by copyright.
>

> Right.  It can only be reproduced if it can't be mistaken for actual
> currency.

False. It cannot be reproduced at all. You do know that the US gov is
pretty much the only one to place government works in the public
domain?

> But that means that images of money are not free content.  Should
> we remove all images of money from Wikipedia?

Those It should certainly be a consideration for those containing
copyvio material.

> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Nazi_Swastika.svg>
> This is an SVG image released into the public domain by its copyright
> holder.  That's about as free as you can get.  But it is not freely
> reproducible in Germany. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#Germany>
> Should we remove all Nazi insignia from Wikipedia?

This has nothing to do with copyright.

> Quotations are not free content, and cannot be licensed under the GFDL.
> Should we remove all quotations from Wikipedia?  Should we delete Wikiquote?
> <

There are many free quotations.

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tianasquare.jpg>
> This is not free content.  Should we remove it from Wikipedia?  (I can think
> of a few people who would want it removed, but I hope they aren't Wikipedia
> editors...)

Certainly should not be as widely used as it is.

> This movement to destroy all fair use content is incredibly misguided.

And doesn't exist outside your head.

>  Just
> looking through the file names of some of our fair use and permission-only
> images, I'm appalled that anyone who shares in the ideals of this project
> would want to prohibit them.
>
> Image:Armeniangenocide-streets.jpg

PD pictures exist. More will exist in the coming decades.

> Image:Beslan child running.jpg

Of no historical significance

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Mouvement_anti-CPE

> Image:Aa McVeigh bombing.jpg

File a freedom of information act to see what pics the US federal
government took.

> Image:1938 Jews arrested during Kristallnacht line up for roll call at
> Buchenwald.jpg

Talk to Danny.

The fair use claim for rather a lot of those images is highly questionable

(Non-iconic news photos used in the article about the event? I'd hate
to try and defend that one)

> The whole concept behind fair use is the protection of free speech in the
> face of information-imprisoning copyright laws.

Not exactly and in any case there are other ways of doing it.

> The whole concept behind
> "free as in free speech" content is to produce information that can't ever
> be locked up by copyright law.  I can't fathom why anyone would think that
> one concept is noble and the other evil.

Look at your examples. Half have "fair use" cases so weak it's
embarrassing. I'm yet to see any case law for emotional impact being a
valid argument supporting fair use

--
geni