[WikiEN-l] David is on Channel 4 tonight re MS issue

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 19:42:06 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, Jeff Raymond <jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com> wrote:

> I had an off-wiki conversation with someone about a similar issue earlier,
> so it's interesting that it comes up again here.  At the end of the day,
> shouldn't we worry more about the quality of the contributions in terms of
> benefit to the encyclopedia (even the poorly written ones) as opposed to
> who's contributing it?

Yes.  Quality of contribution should not be determined by who is
contributing.  This is not a new stance; this has been a rule of thumb
since the first trolls were allowed to stay and continue editing.

> If paying someone $100 to add information to a
> stubby, but necessary, article improves the quality of the encyclopedia,
> why are we standing in the way?

I don't know.  Something about it feeling wrong, driving people from
writing about what is important to writing about what is supported by
patrons.  I do think that edits themselves should be allowed or not
based on their quality -- something that would rule out many would-be
paid contributions.

SJ