[WikiEN-l] Gosh darn it, those spammers^Wmarketers will show us what for

Rich Holton richholton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 15:51:40 UTC 2007

Steve Bennett wrote:
> Have a look at [[Club skifield]] (which I wrote). Follow the external
> link. Is it really worth our (my) while attempting to write something
> that surpasses the link in terms of quality, depth, comprehensiveness
> of coverage? Practically speaking, who is going to be reading
> Wikipedia that doesn't have access to the net, but needs that
> information?

Wikipedia is not a web directory. There are (or were, at least) people
who condense Wikipedia on CD/DVDs for use by those who don't have
(reliable) internet access. This sort of distribution is a fundamental
objective of the project. Suggesting that we don't need to include
information because it's available elsewhere on the web suggests a
misunderstanding of the project.

-Rich