[WikiEN-l] How to stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from making attack articles on us

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 00:58:51 UTC 2007

On 1/24/07, Will <sceptre at tintower.co.uk> wrote:
> Just my two cents as one of those Wikipedians that has been targeted.
>
> The pages really aren't that nice. Over the past few months, the
> simple factthat the page about me (and on nathanr, to an extent) is
> there has almost
> driven off the wiki several times, and in fact, it was the final reason
> behind my departure.
>
> Any reason to take ED down would be good, although it probably won't happen.

A good reason NOT to take ED down would be that they aren't breaking
the law and that there's no internet-wide general policy against being
a steaming asshole.

I think it's entirely appropriate for Wikipedia to offiically ignore
(actively not allow linking, etc) ED given its activities.  But,
something being hostile to the Wikipedia community in no way gives
Wikipedia special rights to go out into the rest of the Internet and
"stop them".

If their harrassment of you or others rises to the level of a civil
tort in the US, then by all means call an attorney.  If it rises to
the level of criminal, by all means call the police and the ISP.

As others have posted, it's exposing Wikipedia to potential liability
to be talking about "takedown strategies" for another website on a
Wikipedia mailing list.  Please stop.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com