[WikiEN-l] How to stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from makingattack articles on

Tony Jacobs gtjacobs at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 24 22:12:14 UTC 2007

>Do they have any real content at all?

Of course they have "real content".  It's basically falls into 3 categories:

There's documentation of internet memes and inside jokes, which is often
accurate, and much more thorough than our documentation of the same, because
they have no WP:V or WP:NOR restrictions.  A lot of this content comes from
4chan and related sites.

Secondly, they've got a lot of satirical material relating to sexism,
racism, homophobia, and basic fear and intolerance against every demographic
group you care to name.  Some people think they're racist and hateful,
others recognize it as a caricature of intolerance, intended to be funny.

Third, they document Internet "drama", mercilessly poking fun at people
whose online activities they find to be ridiculous.  Most of their targets
are LiveJournal users, with some bloggers and podcasters, and they do seem
to have a special place in their hearts for Wikipedians.  It's a sort of
gonzo-journalism style documentation, because they're not above creating
drama and documenting it at the same time.

Personally, I think that if we calll them an "attack site" and make a big
deal out of their nonsense, that we're just creating more drama, and handing
them free content.  It seems to me that the reasonable reaction is to note
that what they do has nothing to do with writing an encyclopedia, and to
pretty much ignore them.

If you want to stop them making "attack articles" about Wikipedians, one way
is to refrain from generating drama.  There's also a drama-positive
situation existing where both wikis nurture misconceptions about the other.
As someone who appreciates both wikis, I continue to explain to each that
the editors of the other are actually human beings, and not some kind of
monsters.  If they stop making fun of Wikipedians, it'll be because they
decide we're cool after all, not because we declare war on them and somehow
win.  Since I happen to think that Wikipedia is cool, I think this is an
attainable goal.

Tony/GTBacchus