[WikiEN-l] Talk before you type: Interesting paper on growth in Wikipedia talk pages

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 13:01:48 UTC 2007

On 16/01/07, Keith Old <keithold at gmail.com> wrote:
> G'day folks,
>
> Researchers at IBM's Visual Comnunication Lab have published an interesting
> paper called "Talk Before You Type: Coordination in Wikipedia" at the 40th
> Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences held recently.
>
> http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_40/decisionbp/03_04_07.pdf

Very interesting. The most delightful part? We're still apparently at
c. three minutes time to revert significant vandalism - this figure
was quoted in their earlier study, but there hasn't been one more
recent than 2003 to go from until now, and the project has changed a
lot since then. A 2005 figure is a lot more comparable to enwp as it
stands today, and is a lot more reassuring... I hope we get a third
study in a couple of years to see how the results evolve.

It would be interesting to see comparable studies for the other
language projects, though as this method relies on manually
identifying and characterising text it would need a decent number of
native speakers to work on such a thing.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk