[WikiEN-l] Exposure of magic on Wikipedia

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Mon Jan 15 22:48:50 UTC 2007

> From: "Nina Stratton" <ninaeliza at gmail.com>
>
> People don't pay for the "magic" per se, they pay for the
> showmanship. In my
> opinion, revealing the mechanics of a magic act in no way detracts
> from that
> particular act's commercial viability. Struggling magicians, on the
> other
> hand, might be of another opinion.

Good point. This is a view from the outside, and I don't know what
really happened in the movie industry, but up to perhaps the 1970s
Hollywood tried to avoid publicizing how special effects were done,
in the mistaken idea that it would kill peoples' pleasure in watching
the film. Disney pretended his artists worked freehand when animating
Snow White and Prince Charming, without mentioning rotoscoping.

As recently as 1974, the movie "That's Entertainment" showed the
sequence from ''The Royal Wedding'' where Fred Astaire appears to
dance on the walls and ceiling with some coy statement to the effect
that "They're still arguing about how it was done." How it was done
is obvious, and I expect audience would have been quite interested in
hearing how Fred Astaire met the challenge of dancing on a set that
was rotating in a vertical plane, would probably have enjoyed seeing
pictures of the machinery, but, no, they thought that would "spoil" it.

I'm not sure just how or when that changed. I seem to recall that
Lucas published a lot of material for Star Wars fans explaining how
motion control worked; perhaps that was the breakthrough. The
magazine Cinefex, entirely devoted to exposing the technical secrets
of special effects first came out in 1980 and is still going strong.

I see no evidence at all that widespread diffusion of special effects
"secrets" has done anything but ''increase'' peoples' interest in the
films that feature them.