[WikiEN-l] Moving the Main Page.

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 23:36:42 UTC 2007

On 1/13/07, Christopher Thieme <cdthieme at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I'm going to write a novel (under pseudonym, so it won't screw up
> the quality literary pursuits I'll eventually get around to publishing)
> called "Main Page"...probably about a murder mystery where one irate
> editor
> murders another over some personal attacks and edits to an article he
> considered owned and sacrosanct from others interference.

And then it can be a movie starring Tom Hanks. Ooh.

P.S. I tried having the renaming the main page back in 2004/2005.  I
> actually support it being set up as a portal.  It's amazing how many
> people
> will force any other article to comply with policy, but oh, God, not the
> Main Page!?!?!?!?!? ~cdt

As I understand it, the main arguments against moving it are (a) it's of
reader interest, and we don't expect readers to understand portals and
namespaces right off the bat, and (b) the absolutely horrifying number of
redirects and broken links that would result, possibly for years down the
line.

But I dunno. Consensus against moving it seems to be pretty solid, from what
I've seen, so I'm inclined to find more productive pursuits. Not sure where
I sit, personally, but not a big issue for me, either way.

-Luna