[WikiEN-l] Could we tone down the language a bit?

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Thu Jan 11 01:04:49 UTC 2007

Someone on this mailing recently started a thread:

> Subject: [WikiEN-l] psychosis and wikipedia.
>
> I'd love to see some psychology-oriented individual do a case study
> on what
> kind of people are attracted to editing on Wikipedia.  What
> psychological
> defects lurk behind the computer screens and the keyboards.

Could we please, please, _please_ try to tone down some of the use of
wildly exaggerated language and hype in this mailing list?

Psychosis means "A severe mental disorder, with or without organic
damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of
contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social
functioning."

As in schizophrenia.

It does _not_ mean a difficult person, a jerk, a bastard, an arrogant
adolescent, etc. Nor does it mean a person obsessed with an ideology
and a pitbull determination to inflict it on everyone.

I'm no psychologist, but in my fifteen years as a USENET participant,
I have perhaps _twice_ seen postings that I thought might, in fact,
actually have been made by someone suffering from schizophrenia. I
have yet to see anything similar on Wikipedia.

Words _do_ have meanings.