[WikiEN-l] psychosis and wikipedia.

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 06:05:48 UTC 2007

On 1/9/07, Christopher Thieme <cdthieme at gmail.com> wrote:

> Something like that would probably explain a lot about the bitterness,
> control issues, the incessant desire to be "right", etc. that some people
> have when approaching the subject of editing.

There's a goodly amount of ego involved, I think. Being able to say "I wrote
that, it's on Wikipedia" is pretty cool, to me, and I imagine other people
feel much the same way. Add into that a desire to feel "smart," and the need
to feel right and accepted among these other "smart" people is at least a
bit explained.

Something along these lines, perhaps:
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?AttentionSeeker

Or, there's always Penny Arcade's take:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

But yeah, a more serious study of some sort would probably have some nifty
results. I'd be interested, at least.

-Luna