[WikiEN-l] Introduction to "Allegations of Israeli Apartheid"

C. Currie coreyjcurrie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 02:51:43 UTC 2007

I would like to draw the attention of readers to the current introduction
of an article entitled "Allegations of Israeli Apartheid":

*"Allegations of Israeli apartheid* draw a controversial
analogy<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy>from South
Africa <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa>'s treatment of non-whites
during the apartheid
era<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_South_Africa_in_the_apartheid_era>to
Israel <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel>'s treatment of Arabs living in
the West Bank <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Bank> and Israel. Those who
reject the analogy argue that it has no basis in fact and is intended as
political slander to malign Israel. They say that legitimate Israeli
security needs justify the practices that prompt the analogy, and argue that
the practices of many other countries, to which the term is not applied,
more closely resemble South African apartheid."

Some editors are of the opinion that this introduction is
one-sided, arguing it lists the arguments of critics but not proponents, is
weighted toward one position, and goes beyond the succinct definitions
usually favoured for Wikipedia introductions.  Other editors have opposed
efforts to modify the section, arguing that the current version follows the
Manual of Style.

This is obviously a contentious article, and accusations of partisanship
have been made on both sides.  I would request that mailing list
contributors review this dispute, and suggest fair and neutral wording.

Thank you,

CJCurrie