[WikiEN-l] Forgive and forget

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jan 7 02:09:18 UTC 2007

Keitei wrote:

>Let's say Person A often says certain sorts of things, which, to
>Person B, sound like personal attacks. Person B is offended and
>infuriated and begins a vendetta against Person A. Person A says, I'm
>sorry you took it that way; I didn't mean it like that. Person B has
>two choices: go around the wiki proclaiming that Person A is uncivil,
>never assumes good faith, and is racist; or forgive, forget, move on.
>
>(This happens a lot.)

It does happen a lot.

The problem with this example is in taking the position that B's being
offended implies that A was offending.  A's explanation that offence was
not intended should usually be sufficient.  In the absence of other
history between these two, B, in refusing the explanation and increasing
the stakes, is also becoming the offending as well as the offended party.

Ec