[WikiEN-l] YouTube links

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 15:00:03 UTC 2007

The huge amount of copyright violations on youtube is only one factor.
Per WP:EL we avoid external links to content which would belong inside
an ideal Wikipedia.

Many of the non-copyright violating informative videos should be
inside wikipedia. It is worth out time to get free licensed releases
of this materal so that we can assure that the content will remain
perpetually free for all purposes and that articles will not be
stripped of this useful information by powers outside of our control.

Wikipedia is not a web directory... We didn't get where we are by
simply linking to content elsewhere. Every non-copyright-violating
youtube video is a chance to expand our community of contributors.