[WikiEN-l] Thousands of *awful* articles on websites

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jan 3 18:56:12 UTC 2007

Bogdan Giusca wrote:

>Wikipedia has way too many articles on websites, webcomics and
>other types of internet content -- likely thousands.

Too many on these subjects, or too few on "good" subjects?

>The problem is that around 95% of those articles are not sourced (or
>they are sourced from forum and blog posts) and at least 70% won't be
>able to be sourced because they were never mentioned in the mainstream
>press -- and probably very few were mentioned in books and journals.

If the subject is of trivial importance the sources should matter less.
Since when did the mainstream press become obligatory?

>I deleted about 50 of them, which looked totally non-notable, but if I
>had to apply the rules, at least 80% would have to be deleted for
>lacking notability claims.

Makes you sound like a regular crusader.

>Can anyone suggest any solution to this?

Yes.  Spend more time _adding_ good content, and stop wasting your own
time trying to get rid trivial material.  If the article starts with,
"This article is about a webcomic," the readers are forwarned about the
value of the article.

Ec

Ec