[WikiEN-l] Ephemeral nature of web pages - a silly idea?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 17:08:22 UTC 2007

On 02/01/07, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Problem is their lag time. It takes over 6 months for stuff to appear there
> by which time you are in deep trouble if it wasn't stored to begin with. It
> would be nice if every site that's referenced in Wikipedia is spidered
> automatically just like every site that's visited by a surfer with an Alexa
> toolbar.

We could, of course, ask them to add "any WP extlink" to their
spidering routines...

archive.org's six-month delay is intentional, but I suppose it could
be possible for them to display some form of "we have this site
archived on X date and just not displayed yet" identifier to the
date-selection page; this would obviate the "not known" problem whilst
meaning they don't have to publish it. hmm. If anyone wants to propose
it to them, free free.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk