[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Feb 16 16:15:54 UTC 2007

William Pietri wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>What you describe seems like a sign of frustration and siege mentality.
>>[...]
>>Every admin should severely limit the amount of time he spends on admin
>>duties.  Spending a greater proportion of time on what really matters
>>helps maintain a vision of what this is all about.
>>

>Some of my work involves getting software development teams to change
>the way they do things. One of the things I've noticed over the years is
>that people who are stressed, frustrated, or overworked are averse to
>change. It can lead to a downward spiral, where nobody has the time to
>improve things so they have more time.
>
>Could that be a problem in this discussion?
>
>I have a hard time telling how stressed or burnt out the average admin
>is, so this is an actual question, not a rhetorical one.

These are good points.  It seems too that these stress factors also
extend to preventing any change that could relieve that stress.  It's a
bit like having inward opening fire-escape doors that can't be opened
because the crowd is pushing so tightly against them.

Your question is a valid one.  How would you suggest that we go about
testing that hypothesis.

Ec