[WikiEN-l] COO story now in major media

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 02:40:04 UTC 2007

On 25/12/2007, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it's the only thing that might force us to catalog the appalling
> events of this person's life in an encyclopedia.  We're not Facebook.

What has facebook got to do with anything.

> Being in Wikipedia can *hurt*, it can *kill*.

So can many things.

>  We need to be sure that
> we really need to interfere with somebody's life that much.

"that much" umm compared to the extent the US authorities appear to be
prepared to interfere nothing wikipedia could do is very significant.

>  This
> applies to *every single living person* documented by Wikipedia, not
> just this former employee. It's why we have a "Biographies of living
> persons" (BLP) policy.  We owe a duty to humanity, and specifically to
> our subjecs, not to make things worse.

Worse is a subjective judgment and in any case is impossible to
certain of with sub infinite data sets (see chaos theory).

>We're here to nmake things
> BETTER. Did you forget that?

No we are here to build an encyclopedia.

--
geni