[WikiEN-l] Coordination on Secret/private lists

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 8 21:21:48 UTC 2007

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I am glad to see Alec laying his cards on the table here.
>
> Alec Conroy wrote:
>> "We just wanted a private place to share our feelings" isn't going to
>> assauge the community's fear that the list was used to coordinate
>> something, somewhere, somehow.
>
> I think it makes sense to the community that some people have been badly
> hurt, to the point that the police have had to be called.  That may mean
> nothing to you, but you do not speak for the entire community here.

I doubt that Alec is some sort of evil fiend who doesn't care if people
get harassed. I think his main point here is not that nothing should be
done to help those who have been harassed, but that helping those who
have been harassed is not the sole consideration that has to be taken
into account. The concerns of other segments of the editing community
need to be addressed as well.

Nobody speaks for the _entire_ community. That's why we need to listen
to each others' concerns and find compromises to hopefully satisfy all
of them.