[WikiEN-l] drama and incivility

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Wed Aug 29 01:07:10 UTC 2007

Christiano Moreschi wrote:
> [...] Most people don't have anything to write any more, so they
> start fighting instead. Seeing [[Africa]] as a redlink and writing "Africa
> is a continent" is fun, but that doesn't happen anymore (and "Africa is a
> big continent" is no longer an FA). So, people turn to drama as an
> alternative, because conflict is fun as well. A shame, but in this respect
> enwiki has become the victim of its own succcess. [...]

That's a very interesting point. It reminds me of some large-company
offices I have visited.

My worry would be that this is a self-reinforcing process. That drama
would drive out people with no taste for drama, increasing the fun gap
between drama and serious work.

Is that inevitable? I hope not,  but all the solutions that pop to mind
involve... more drama.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>