[WikiEN-l] drama and incivility

Christiano Moreschi moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 16:27:17 UTC 2007

>From: Aude <audevivere at gmail.com>
>To: "English Wikipedia" <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>Subject: [WikiEN-l] drama and incivility
>Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:06:39 -0400
>
>Some messages that come through this mailing list, such as the recent NY
>Times article on BLP issues, are good to receive.  I like being informed
>about such matters relevant to Wikipedia.  Others like all "Go away, you
>trolling fuckwit." have no place on the mailing list.   Am I the only one
>here annoyed with such messages?  Why can't we be more cordial and polite
>towards one another?  It's gotten to the point where I may unsubscribe.
>
>The drama here, along with AN/I and other places is souring my opinion
>about
>contributing to Wikipedia.  Why bother anymore?  I still like the ideals
>behind the project and wish to continue, but would really like it if we can
>please tone down the drama and be more civil and cordial towards one
>another?  If people can't control themselves, then maybe this list could
>use
>moderation.  Though if the moderator is engaging such language, that's not
>good.
>
>--
>Aude

Simple reason? Most people don't have anything to write any more, so they
start fighting instead. Seeing [[Africa]] as a redlink and writing "Africa
is a continent" is fun, but that doesn't happen anymore (and "Africa is a
big continent" is no longer an FA). So, people turn to drama as an
alternative, because conflict is fun as well. A shame, but in this respect
enwiki has become the victim of its own succcess. Antandrus talks about this
better than I can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Antandrus/observations_on_Wikipedia_behavior

Particularly numbers 19 and 20.

C More schi