[WikiEN-l] Hardblocking usernames

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Aug 12 22:38:15 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I still feel banned.  There is more than one option available to
> > unblock individual Tor users.
>
> Allowing individual Tor users to edit Wikipedia involves adding a line
> to LocalSettings.php and having a Steward give you the permission.
> It's easy. But why would we do that? We don't allow people to edit
> through anonymous proxies (and there is no consensus that Tor nodes
> are not anonymous proxies - I, for one, certainly don't see any
> significant difference) for a reason.

I love how the word consensus gets thrown around willy-nilly to argue
any point at all.  There is no consensus that Tor nodes *are*
anonymous proxies either.

Of course, that's pretty irrelevant, since AB isn't *intentionally*
being blocked because s/he edits through Tor, rather the fact that
s/he is blocked is a side effect (which, incidentally, is why I don't
think it's accurate to say that AB is banned).

> That reasons applies to you just
> as it applies to anyone else. If there is a reason to make an
> exception for you, then there is a reason to make an exception for
> pretty much anyone, in which case we should simply remove the rule.

That's absolutely not true, though.  AB has made thousands of edits to
Wikipedia, over a course of over a year.  It's safe to say this isn't
just a throwaway account being made to do some vandalism and run.  The
majority of people who commented on this users request for adminship
supported it, and even some of those who didn't support it mentioned
that they would be supportive of allowing the user to edit through
Tor.  That isn't the case for all users, and that's why simply
"removing the rule" is not acceptable.