[WikiEN-l] Another conflict regarding linking to "attack sites"

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 03:38:09 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:

> This week, Wikipedia Signpost has an article about the latest
> developments in the Daniel Brandt flap:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2007-04-
> 23/Brandt_unblock
>
> The original version, by Michael Snow, included a link to Brandt's
> Wikipedia Watch site, which was relevant to the article because it
> was in fact being discussed there.
>
> Michaelas10 then removed the link, using "Attack site" as his edit
> summary.

The problem with the proposal is that people want to impose strict liability.

If someone posts personal attacks off-wiki, and then links to them in
order to make the personal attacks on-wiki, then that's just as bad as
posting them on-wiki in the first place and should be treated
similarly. I haven't seen anyone disagreeing with this.

But the proposal aims to make any link, to any part of any site that
carries bad material somewhere on it, impossible. That's remarkably
shortsighted.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com