[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales should reconsider

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 21 01:06:31 UTC 2007

doc wrote:
> James Farrar wrote:
>> Well, we could give up, shut down the project, and all go and do something else.
>>
> And how does that argument help? We need to admit the real problem and
> then try to find some real solutions - but unfortunately some people
> would rather shoot the messenger or assume that any major change would
> mean the death of wikipedia.

But IMO it's not a "real solution" to delete an article that we would
otherwise have if only the subject of the article hadn't asked us to
delete it. Adding the exemption for biographies already in Britannica
would just make Wikipedia's coverage even more nonsensical and
arbitrary. There's nothing magical about Britannica's standards that
makes biographies problem-free and it would introduce a whopping great
systemic bias.