[WikiEN-l] RFCU security (was Ryulong blocked ALL accounts)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 15:16:01 UTC 2007

On 20/04/07, Info Control <infodmz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just for the ediifcation of those who do not know, why is it there is no
> public record of who ran what RFCU IP check? Shouldn't people be entitled to
> know if their privacy was for possible undocumented searches exposed?

Because that would expose them to idiots claiming a check was itself a
black mark against them.

CheckUser is essentially a system administrator level function which
some trusted and technically competent editors can do because it saves
bugging the devs. And system administrators can and will check all and
any logs they feel they need to at any time.

But you know what? Without good reason, they don't tell.

> I ask as least *one* administrator is documented to have been active on
> Wikitruth, and at least one former admin (Everyking) is a Wikipedia Review
> editor. What recourse do users in good standing have to find out if their IP
> information was viewed?

They don't. Having been checked doesn't violate your privacy.

- d.