[WikiEN-l] Brandt unblocked by Jimbo - community support?

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 19 19:02:31 UTC 2007

"Info Control" wrote

> On 4/19/07, charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com

> > Don't follow. A community ban holds only when it is effectively unanimous,
> > not when it has a consensus behind it. That's a huge practical difference.
> >
> > Charles

> So I understand... if twelve admins say, User:X is community banned, but one
> admin says, "No, he's really a nice guy, for reasons A, B, C, I'm
> unblocking," and does... he can overrule them all?

It is more like a jury system. If one out of 12 admins is prepared to make a good-faith unblock, having heard the arguments and looked at the evidence, then there is no community ban.

There may well be a wheel war. That is actually what I meant by a 'huge difference'. A consensus, rather than effective unanimity, can lead to wheel-warring. Ergo, in our terms, these are entirely different things. Wheel wars are detrimental, and so I don't advocate stretching the idea of community sanctions.

Charles