[WikiEN-l] Merger of [[WP:SOCK]], [[WP:SPA]], and [[WP:DOP]] into [[WP:U]]

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 21:22:01 UTC 2007

On 4/13/07, Dycedarg <darthvader1219 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Apparently some people got together...somewhere...and decided that it
> would
> make sense to merge [[WP:DOP]], [[WP:SPA]], and [[WP:SOCK]] into [[WP:U]].

Some sort of merger in there might well be a good idea, but I think I'd have
to disagree with the particular choice of target. Single-purpose accounts
and sock/meatpuppets can be grouped together, probably (if not completely,
then describing them on the same page seems okay). Username policy seems to
be a distinct issue, as I read it -- one manages the use of multiple
accounts, the other deals with what you can or cannot name your account(s).
But that might just be me.

Doppelgangers, likewise, don't reeeally seem to need a standalone policy
page, so I suppose they could be a subset of the "using multiple accounts"
issue (whatever page that ends up at).

As another issue, please do bear in mind that thousands of block summaries
we can never change all reference [[WP:U]] as a shortcut to "username
policy." I guess it's not a huge, huge problem if that gets changed, but if
it is, notice should be posted (admin noticeboard?) so that people can alter
any scripts they may have accordingly, along with taking care of any other
related issues.

Just a few odd thoughts,
-Luna