[WikiEN-l] SEO conference on Wikipedia

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 18 16:32:27 UTC 2007

Info Control wrote:
> On 4/18/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> However any such code would be de-facto saying that we are a links
>> directory. If we are not there is no reason to have anything other
>> than nofollow on our links.
>>

> On the non-extremist flip side, Wikipedia's massive Google Rank was built on
> the backs of people linking to articles from their own sites. Some allowance
> of this isn't a bad thing or endorsement of anything, it's basic netiquette.

Massive Google rank is a side-effect of our mission, not a goal and it's
not something from which we gain any financial advantage. The whole
"netiquette" and "built on the backs of" argument is just a
thinly-veiled attempt to justify hijacking WP into yet another way to
make a buck, as if the Internet didn't have more than enough of those
already. Did you consider that maybe so many people link to WP *because*
its mission is to be useful rather than profitable?

Stan