[WikiEN-l] "Suicide methods" article

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 07:22:07 UTC 2007

> On 4/17/07, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Merging the methods article into the main article on suicide is the
> > best course, in my view, since it would go a long way to providing the
> > necessary context.
>
> No it is too big to merge. Please stop trying to enforce your moral
> standards on other people.
>

> --
> geni

I've got no real problem merging it, or keeping it. I'm not sure it
really needs a separate article, but it's an important enough topic we
should address it somewhere. If someone is suicidal, -they are going
to find a way to do it-. While I fully understand NYBrad's concerns
(and to some degree agree with them), I think perhaps we do a greater
service by presenting neutral, factual information on sensitive topics
rather than censoring them. The current article may not be that-if
it's not, stub it! That doesn't take any rouge admin powers at all.
But if we're writing a comprehensive work, that's going to include
topics that many would consider objectionable, disturbing, and even
dangerous. While we should be sensitive to harm in some cases (such as
BLP), we must not become -oversensitized- to the point that we don't
handle the ugly parts of reality as well as the beautiful ones.

Seraphimblade

--
Freedom is the right to know that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.