[WikiEN-l] "Suicide methods" article

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 05:23:44 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) <newyorkbrad at gmail.com> wrote:
> I consider myself a rather conventional and non-rouge type of editor and
> administrator but it is requiring a supreme effort of willpower not to
> perform an immediate IAR speedy deletion of this article on the ground that
> it represents an imminent threat to human life and safety whose
> existence tends to place the project in disrepute.  I have no desire to

Is there any evidence that attempting to block access to information
on suicide actually reduces suicide? Supposedly teenagers that receive
more sex education are less sexually active. Maybe by providing this
information we actually reduce the occurrence of suicide?

Of course, that may be optimistic. But the kneejerk "omg we're telling
people how to kill themselves now they will all do it!" is a bit
simplistic.

Steve