[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia privacy concerns

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 12:47:39 UTC 2007

On 4/15/07, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> And yes, I mean in articles too. There's no reason for personal
> information like phone numbers and street addresses to be included
> anywhere on Wikipedia (unless someone chooses to put them there
> themselves, and then only while they want it there).

Whether a person adds material about themselves personally is
irrelevant to whether it should be there. We never distinguish between
*who* added the material - only whether it meets our policies.

As a general rule, I don't think we include phone numbers of any
individuals or even organisations. For a start, they're liable to
change. And then, who are they useful to? People overseas? I guess
there are exceptions like particularly famous phone numbers, but in
general we don't need or want them.

Steve