[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia privacy concerns

Denny Colt wikidenny at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 19:47:13 UTC 2007

On the Arbitration page, an interesting idea is presented. MONGO says this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3ARequests_for_arbitration&diff=122294156&oldid=122294153

"If we started linking in all the posts that proves that website has
actively engaged in trying to "out" real identities and allows other
egregious attacks, then that might help explain why we don't have an article
about that website. Due to information posted on WR, either mirrored from
some other site or posted there originally, I can think of at least 5
wikipedians who have left or assumed new identities on Wikipedia to avoid
the harassment associated with those posts. That the website actively
engages as a forum to collaborate in an effort to "discover" who people are
in real life is no mystery...it is transparent.--[[User:MONGO|MONGO]] 19:23,
12 April 2007 (UTC)"

In response, Risker says this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration&curid=438960&diff=122298065&oldid=122296483

upfront about potential risks to registering an account at Wikipedia. I've
just gone and checked the information given about registering accounts, and
there is very little about the risks of doing so, and plenty about the
benefits. It would be good to have a subpage there discussing things like
choice of user name, deciding how much personal information to put on your
user page, and the fact that (as one of the most read sites on the internet)
Wikipedia cannot guarantee the privacy of any person. I would be willing to
work on this, but I have no idea who manages that page.
[[User:Risker|Risker]] 19:39, 12 April 2007 (UTC)"

Is this a good idea? Put up a warning for all new registrations that your
privacy is not/cannot be guaranteed by Wikipedia? If there will be no policy
to stop people from linking to sites/sources that DO engage in outing our
identaties this may be required. If the press got hold of this...

This conversation spawned from some vehement opposition to a proposed policy
to ban links to attack, outing, and hate sites aimed at hurting Wikipedians.
The policy is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Attack_sites

--
- Denny