[WikiEN-l] When Unsourced Isn't That Bad

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:20:14 UTC 2007

On Apr 10, 2007, at 7:30 AM, Steve Bennett wrote:

> Which isn't to say that we couldn't operate different rules for
> newbies than for established users. But I don't see how we can
> suddenly start telling newbies that unsourced articles are ok, even if
> it's only "sometimes ok".

Because we shouldn't treat newbies like they're idiots who can't
understand how we do things. How about "Sourcing articles is
important. It's not always the first priority, but it's an issue."

Or, better yet, how about we don't treat "newbies" as a homogenous
class. I read some policy pages and found myself on RFA discussing
someone's nomination within a day or two of getting to Wikipedia.
This was, admittedly, before the Great Process Explosion, and it may
well be that it's impossible for a newbie to get up to speed on the
basics now because we've eliminated basics. But that's neither here
nor there - newbie is not a homogenous class any more than "article"
is. How we deal with a given one and what we tell a given one should
not be determined before we've looked at the specific situation.

-Phil