[WikiEN-l] let's be honest then

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 6 05:13:18 UTC 2007

doc wrote:

>Stephen Bain wrote:
>

>>Just like the problem of unsourced content, it's a problem of people,
>>not of policies.
>>

>However, being realistic, our community is too large and impersonal for
>us to be in the business of reforming people - all we can do is change
>policies. But I get yelled at every time I suggest that.

That's perfectly understandable when it appears that you are determined
to change the way that _others_ do things.  The size of the community
has nothing to do with it.  It's the idea of setting out to reform
people that is wrong, even in a much smaller community.  The very idea
of reforming people, whether through personal command in a small
community or elaborate policies in a large one is what makes that
community impersonal.

Policy changes would go more easily if proposers began paying attention
to the collateral effects of those proposals.

Ec