[WikiEN-l] "So fix it." "The next day someone will fix it

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 17:27:10 UTC 2007

Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 13:27:10 -0400
--text follows this line--
Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> writes:

> On 4/1/07, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > 1000 quatloos says this was something that "everybody knows".

>> > And of course "everybody" is FOS.
>>
>> There's no contradiction between the two statements, though.
>>
> For that matter, Hofstadter never claimed there was a
  contradiction.

> He said the entry on him "is filled with inaccuracies".  Even if
  he
> *did* mean to imply that the statement about inspiring many
   students
> was one of those inaccuracies, he's still claiming there are
  many
> others.
>
> That said, I just removed the statement about inspiring
  students, as
> it was anecdotal and lacked sources.  If someone cares to
  present a
> reliable source which claims that Hofstadter has inspired many
> students to begin careers in computing and AI, feel free to add
  it
> back with a citation.
>
> So, I fixed it.  Want to make a bet someone comes along and
fixes it back?

> Anthony

It should be fixed back. I urge everyone who is interested in this
thread to take a look at the Hofstadter talk page where I've been
working on this since yesterday: there is a Wired interview from
'95 where Hofstadter himself says that his book has so inspired
people. It is something "everyone knows" because it has achieved
the status of cliche; inspiring people is sort of what GEB does.

--
Gwern
Inquiring minds want to know.