[WikiEN-l] [[WP:V]] and [[WP:RS]] are destroying Wikipedia

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Sep 20 07:09:52 UTC 2006

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com wrote:
> Ray Saintonge wrote
>
>> Claims about whether Wikipedia is reliable or unreliable are most often
>> speculative.
>>

> Wikipedia is unreliable. You can't settle a bet with Wikipedia. If you actually needed to buy Britannica in the past, you still do. The wriggle-room between 'unreliable' and 'useless' turns out to be so large we have shoehorned a multimillion-article reference site in there.

Indeed, the wiggle room is so large that nearly all published material
fits in it!  Britannica not least---you've certainly never been able to
cite "Britannica said it" as reliable evidence if you're writing
something like an academic paper, and yet it manages to have proven
quite useful over a long period of time.

-Mark