[WikiEN-l] No derivatives (was: Would you like one of your videos posted on Wikipedia?)

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 22:18:21 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, dmehkeri at swi.com <dmehkeri at swi.com> wrote:
> > Consider what happens if we make a print version of Wikipedia with
> > color images in black and white? Is that a derived work?
>
> Meh. Possibly a derivative work under some laws, I don't know.
>
> Though CC-BY-ND, for instance, explicitly allows transfer to different media,
> and modifications necessary for such.

I'm not sure you realize how all-encompassing the definition of
derivative work is. Having a ND means that any use not directly
specified is going to probably put you into a "fair use" zone.

It is not a free license in any respect. It is really just a notice
which says, "feel free to print out some more copies of these and
distribute them if you want without charge." That's not within the
definition of free content at all — it's the wrong type of "free."

FF