[WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 16 19:01:44 UTC 2006

"David Mestel" wrote

> If I may add my personal opinion, I do not think that it was
> appropriate for Jimmy to declare public support for any candidate.

Hmmm - that kind of assumes the GodKing thing of giving out positive and approving messages has to be turned off as soon as there is an election in the offing. And it also kind of assumes that people are better off voting in ignorance of how candidates are seen. There is a point to both, but something on the other side also. (Perhaps I'm feeling a little more relaxed, with an endorsement from someone who actually has a vote - thank you Stephen :-).) The election process goes on for a month, just for this limited filling of one vacancy and I don't think we should really get into the area of wishing an artificial atmosphere to descend when elections are happening. Free speech is a good thing in the public life of an organisation.

This election is not, as far as I can see, a referendum on the current management at Board level. If it were, then it would be quite interesting to know who was endorsed from the Board's side.

Charles