[WikiEN-l] I've Kicked the Process Habit

Stephen Streater sbstreater at mac.com
Sat Sep 16 18:07:58 UTC 2006

On 16 Sep 2006, at 16:45, geni wrote:

>>> Do you want to tell the foundation that WP:OFFICE and copyright is
>>> just process?
>>
>> No. Do you want to tell me that everybody who uploads images needs to
>> become copyright experts?
>
> Depends what they are uploading. Wish to adress the office point.
>
>> Because I'm figuring we can get by pretty
>> OK on people who are making a good faith effort to follow fair use
>
> Yeah we tried that. It doesn't work.

There is a difference between internal and external
constraints. External constraints, such as copyright
law, are hard constraints and must be enforced.

I think that soft constraints can be more flexible and
adjust with time. It's worth mentioning that with such
a rapidly growing readership, some written consensus
guidelines are important to make sure we're all heading
out in the same direction.

>> Which isn't what I said I was going to do. IAR is not "cut the
>> newbies some slack when they don't know the rules." That's BITE. IAR
>> is "Look, try to understand the basic premises, then go ahead and act
>> in a manner consistent with them, and odds are it'll work out fine."
>> I'm counting on that actually being true. That's not "whatever seemed
>> like a good idea at the time." That's "whatever seemed to an admin of
>> two years like the thing most consistent with his ever-growing
>> knowledge of how Wikipedia works."
>>
>> I'd say it's a subtle difference, but honestly, it's not.
>>

> Nice dodge.

It is possible to see that the system which Phil is
trying to improve isn't perfect. Just because some
aspects need detailed rules to reflect external
constraints doesn't mean the whole system must
be codified precisely.

I am happy for relatively few people with relevant
experience to point new members in the right
direction from time to time. This allows discussion
and fluidity in the system over long time periods,
while ensuring consistency on small time scales.