[WikiEN-l] Contest and quality

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 16:19:03 UTC 2006

On 12/09/06, maru dubshinki <marudubshinki at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1. The field "Requests" on "Recent Changes" be changed to "Requested feature
> > articles." Instead of asking people to create brand new article, the focus
> > should be on improving existing articles.
>
> Impossible. Featured articles are determined by FAC, which is as
> ridden or more so with politics as AFD, DRV, and other such eyesores:
> standards are constantly shifting and unevenly applied. Good Articles
> itself has turned into a mockery of FAC.

Yes and no. GA is often a mockery of FAC - I am currently musing over
one near-incomprehensible objection to an article of mine  - but it
doesn't have to be; all it needs is someone to list the article and
someone else to say "yup, sure, that's decent".

There's no real reason the process can't be decentralised further, by
having most of the review work done by individual wikiprojects or the
like, and just listed centrally for some transparency - it's just we
seem to have fallen into this highly centralised system which plays up
the FAC-like issues.

> Most Featured Articles are great articles, but most great articles are not FAs.

Indeed. Perhaps we just need to ask Raul to be a little more sharp
with silly objections

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk