[WikiEN-l] [Wikitech-l] [Wmfcc-l] Living bio patrol on en:wp [[WP:BLPP]]

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 11:00:17 UTC 2006

On 9/9/06, Amgine <amgine at saewyc.net> wrote:
> It is not reasonable to have large, in-depth biographies about living
> persons. Too much information makes is included, often with such
> detail that make an en.wp article a considerable risk to the
> subject's privacy and security (such as identity theft, among other
> things.) Deep articles are prone to bias, either showing the subject
> unfavourably or too favourably, and often give undue weight to some
> minor element of their life to push a point of view (a classic
> example are US Congressional members, whose articles almost
> universally contain extensive coverage of the most recent few years
> of public service - particularly perceived scandals - and may
> completely lack any mention of previous public positions or private
> careers.) Subjects can and do dramatically alter their lives and
> goals, and en.wp articles are not able to be relevant to these changes.

Was this intended as satire? I am reminded of "A modest proposal" by
Swift. Of course Wikipedia must and will include relevant information
about living people when it is well-sourced. Balance is desirable, but
lack thereof should rarely be a criterion for "resetting" an article
-- more for restructuring it and adding missing pieces.

The well-intended and necessary efforts to fight against libel and POV
must not turn into hysteria and paranoia.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik