[WikiEN-l] CC-SA (was: Example of a user who should have been banned a long time ago)

dmehkeri at swi.com dmehkeri at swi.com
Fri Sep 8 16:40:07 UTC 2006

> > > I just wish the bot would stop telling me that the images Ive uploaded
> > > that dont have a known source (and were released under Sharealike 1.0
> > > which doesnt require a source) are candidates for deletion.
> >
> > Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 1.0 *requires* attribution.
> > In fact, all the Creative Commons licenses require attribution.
> >
> I didn't say Attribution-ShareAlike 1.0, I said Sharealike 1.0.

Right, the (disused) CC-SA doesn't have the full attribution requirements of
CC-BY-SA.

Nevertheless, I think some indication of source is, if not legally required,
then a really good idea, and I think this is true even for works explicitly
released into the public domain (as opposed to, say, trivial ones ineligible for
copyright, or stuff with obviously expired copyright).

If nothing else, we'd want some sort of attempt to establish that it really was
released into the public domain (or under CC-SA).

Regards,
Dan