[WikiEN-l] [Wmfcc-l] Living bio patrol on en:wp [[WP:BLPP]]

Amgine amgine at saewyc.net
Sun Sep 10 02:40:13 UTC 2006

On 9-Sep-06, at 2:56 PM, David Gerard wrote:

> On 09/09/06, Amgine <amgine at saewyc.net> wrote:
>
>> For these and other reasons, en.wp should develop policy limiting
>> living persons articles to primary career facts and academic
>> achievements, current positions held or endeavors, and minimal
>> personal facts. By presenting a minimal set of biographic facts the
>> community can circumvent a large number of internal and external
>> conflicts, whilst avoiding maintenance issues and keeping the
>> articles relevant until such time as the subjects may be viewed in
>> historical context.
>

> And, of course, [[WP:LIVING]] has pretty much from its creation said
> what you're asking for here: facts in the article need to be relevant
> to the subject's notability.
>
> (removed developers from the cc:, as I can't see them caring about an
> editorial policy issue)
>

> - d.

No, actually.

To give an example of what I mean:

[[Tom DeLay]]

{{infobox}}

'''Thomas Dale "Tom" DeLay''' (born in [[1947]]) is a former member
of the [[United States House of Representatives]] from [[Sugar Land,
Texas|Sugar Land]], [[Texas]], the former [[Majority Leader of the
United States House of Representatives|House Majority Leader]], and a
prominent member of the [[Republican Party (United States)|Republican
Party]].

== Early life and education ==

DeLay was born in Laredo, Texas. He spent part of his childhood in
Venezuela, due to his father's employment. He attended Calallen High
School in Corpus Christi, Texas, and spent two years as a pre-med
student at Baylor University. DeLay received a Bachelor of Science
degree with a major in biology from the University of Houston in 1970.

== Public service ==

In 1978, DeLay won the election for an open seat in the Texas House
of Representatives. He was the first Republican to represent Fort
Bend County in the state House. DeLay was elected to the federal
House in 1984, representing the Texas 22nd congressional district,
after his predecessor, Republican Ron Paul, declined to run for re-
election.

DeLay was appointed deputy whip by then-Minority Whip Dick Cheney in
1988. When the Republican Party gained control of the House in 1995
following the 1994 election, DeLay was elected Majority Whip. After
serving as his party's Whip for eight years, DeLay was elected
Majority Leader upon the retirement of Dick Armey in 2003. After
being indicted in Texas on charges related to campaign contributions,
DeLay stepped down as Majority Whip.

On April 3, 2006, DeLay announced that he would not run for re-
election. He also announced his resignation effective June 9, 2006,
and that he planned to form a lobbying firm that would work to
support conservative issues.

</example>

Compare to the extant article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_DeLay